St. Angelo Fort, built in 1505 by Sir Francisco de Almeida, the main Portuguese Viceroy of India, is arranged close to the drift and around 2 kilometers (1.2 mi) from Kannur town. This fortification saw a few wars for its control until the point that the British banner at long last flew over it in 1790. Indeed, even now, it is in a genuinely decent condition of conservation and is an ensured landmark under Archeological Survey of India (ASI). A composition of this fortress and the angling ship behind the post can be found in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
St Angelo Fort is a critical authentic landmark and traveler focus. Kerala Police has posted six Tourism Police Officers for the security and direction of vacationers. Among them, Sathyan Eddakkad has detailed knowledge about this fortress and the encompassing spots.
The fortress, however not as expansive as the notable Bekal Fort in Kasaragod gloats lavish greenery and all around looked after environment. The Payyambalam and Government visitor house is a portion of alternate historic points close to the post.